Saturday, March 21, 2009

Planning

So, it is decided:  I am going to do something else.  But what?  For how long?  Where?

I have a hundred questions for myself, so I resigned to do what I do every time I am faced with an overwhelming decision... I try to learn something.  

It's ironic how the main part of my problem solving method involves me distancing myself from the problem at hand.

4 hours in and I just realized that after all those "exercises" and all that reading, I can now design a black and white version of my first myspace page.  (Okay, so a few other elements might be lacking, but the basic format remains the same.)  It is kind of thrilling and depressing to learn what is hard and what is just ridiculously easy.

It makes you think about what goes into the pages that you look at online too.  Just click View/View Source on a web page and suddenly the long lines of code become visible. It makes me realize something important: I want to be able to type html on pages, but I'm glad that I don't to have to type in html every time I type something online.  

If it came to that, then this blog probably wouldn't exist.   I would have gotten annoyed at a misplaced tag somewhere or another and moved away from the system very early on.  The first post probably never would have gone up.  (Not that anyone actually read the first post, but that is another story entirely.  The point is that I wouldn't be typing this now.)

In the end, I find myself thinking back to Hamlet's famous question and rephrasing it for today:
To html, or not to html?  That is the question.

1 comment:

Toki-chan said...

hey, here is a good site
www.lisaexplains.com
it's great, and I'll help you if you need it.