Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Invader Zim

Today the unthinkable happened at work: 

Me: *wonder around trying to figure out what to do that doesn't involve alphabetizing*
Co-worker: What is that on your shirt?
Me: Hmm? Oh, that's Gir from Invader Zim.
Her: Who is Invader Zim?
Me: *pause* It used to come on Nick.  It is, pretty much, the random-est cartoon ever.  
Her: Like Spongebob?
Me:  Oh, far far random-er.
Her: *looks at me skeptically*

Upon further consideration Invader Zim is basically what you would get if you threw Seinfeld, Men in Black 2 and Batman Beyond in a blender.  The show has practically no plot line, lots of random alien stuff and a captivating art style.  

What more can I say about it?  I mean, besides that it is awesome.  In my experience, Invader Zim is to people who grew up in the 90s what Ghostbusters is to people who grew up in the 80s.  (And by growing up, I of course mean watched lots of television and became emotionally attached to the characters seen there.)  It is a cultural identifier.  Don't get me wrong, I love Ghostbusters, but Gir is my homeboy... errr... dog, robot, thing...

Oh, and my favorite quote of the day came from the computer lab assistant (who is a girl, since in this context it does matter):

"I love your shirt!  Give it to me now.  Take it off!"

Ha ha.  If she hadn't been joking then that would have been awkward.  

No comments: