Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Meditation

I love driving at night. It seems good for the soul somehow, to move effortlessly through the quiet roads under a gentle light. It helps me think too.

I had a question earlier, but the person I needed to ask didn't answer so for now I'm releasing it.

Breath in.... peace, calm, confidence.

Breath out... doubt, worry, panic.

Breath in... I'm going to make it.

Breath out...

Lately my life seems to have become a series of meditations. I go into an almost meditative state of focus while at work that allows me to get things done reasonably quickly, forget other concerns that would only distract me and makes time seem to pass more quickly. I am forever meditative in my writing. I repeat my own mantra as I fall asleep.

Driving is the best though. When I am in the car alone is the only time when I feel totally free to let go and focus on the space around me and within me. It is my space. I am free to be me in it.

When I am alone in the car, the object(s) of my meditation tends to affect my driving. If I'm focused on good things, I tend to drive like a grandma. If I'm trying to figure out a problem, I drive like a stunt man evading police custody. I try not to meditate on problems while driving too often.

Meditation comes easy for me though. It is like the white hot flash of pain when your mind goes entirely blank, without the pain. Simple and automatic... easy.

I let my foot off the accelerator. Hello again, Exit 18. Time to plot out what I've found in this short meditation on paper. Perhaps then the answer will make itself clear...

...if indeed there is an answer.

No comments: