Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Post Pertaining to Scott, me and the Many Questions that are Currently Floating Through my Head

2 months until I bravely march where no Blackwell girl has marched before (at least not in the last half century): Down the aisle.

I'm a bit nervous at this point. Family pressure from all angles is getting to me. That is of course on top of the pressure I put on myself to be the most super awesome person I know. (Yes, this is how my brain describes it, and with super awesome people like y'all as friends its a lot to live up to.)

I want to turn to everyone and no one all at the same time to just sort out how I feel about the whole thing. I want to get married. Yes, I do love him. I think we can make it (financially, romantically, career-wise, etc). I want to do this.

The real kicker of the questions is this though: Do I think we're ready? Honestly, no. If by ready, you mean prepared for all of life's unexpected craziness, then I don't think it is possible to be. A Batman Beyond quote comes to mind on this, "... expect the unexpected."

I'm going into it about like I go into most major decisions though. I've gotten to know the people involved (me and him). I've done research to see what to keep an eye out for and to really focus on and to see what made other people succeed or fail. I've observed others as much as possible. But am I ready? Am I prepared? Can anyone ever be?

*sigh* I guess I'll just hope for the best and go for it. I know what I want out of life and as Shel Silverstein once made clear so pointedly, the "What ifs" are just distractions that keep us up at night.

I know what I want out of my life, and marrying the man I love is one of those things that I want. There are still a million questions in my mind, but the really important ones already have clear answers. Isn't that what really matters?


They say we're young and we don't know
We won't find out until we grow
Well I don't know if all that's true
'Cause you got me, and baby I got you

Babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

They say our love won't pay the rent
Before it's earned, our money's all been spent
I guess that's so, we don't have a pot
But at least I'm sure of all the things we got

Babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

I got flowers in the spring
I got you to wear my ring
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always around

Don't let them say your hair's too long
'Cause I don't care, with you I can't go wrong
Then put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb

Babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

I got you to hold my hand
I got you to understand
I got you to walk with me
I got you to talk with me
I got you to kiss goodnight
I got you to hold me tight
I got you, I won't let go
I got you to love me so

I got you babe...

1 comment:

A said...

Whenever I hear "I Got You Babe," I think of the SNL version from the 70s with a disturbing muppet singing the man's part...

I can't really comment on your current conundrum, first because I'm biased when it comes to marriage, and secondly because I don't think people can really judge each other's situations as well as they think they can.

The most important thing I would say to you if I said anything (which of course I'm totally NOT doing), would be to either know what you want do to with your life before you get married, or make sure the person you're marrying is along for the ride. Otherwise one of you might be ready to settle in while the other is still searching for something.