Thursday, May 6, 2010

Yearbook

I've been packing up my things to move to... wherever it is Scott and I are going to live in a little over a month... and in the midst of trying to figure out how to make all my yearbooks fit in a box, I ended out flipping one of them open. It was my senior year book. When I read the comments I nearly cried. I miss the people.

Those crazy friends who wrote such great comments in the yearbook before we went our separate ways. Some I haven't seen hide nor hair of since. Some I've grown closer to despite the distance. (Oh, and I may be calling a few of you in the next week or so to take you up on long passed offers of coffee and movies. It would be nice to see you again. Y'all were the best thing about high school.)

Now don't get me wrong, you couldn't pay me enough to want to be a high schooler again. The drama with people, the way nobody took you seriously, the junk... no thank you.

I almost wish I could start out everyday in the drama room though: With Chris flirting with whoever. Becca telling me that I had once more lost my right to dance due the fact that I am too white. Celeste eating the outer glazed part of the donut then trying to convince Justine to take the rest because she doesn't like bread. Guys suddenly deciding they want to try on dresses. Beating Chris and Becca at cards with V. Chilling with the band guys. V's jokes. Yugoslavia, Checkoslovakia...

I guess that part of me is the same part that honestly considered staying at college just so I could go to BCAR once a week, but alas, all the good people were leaving anyway: Rick was gone, so no more of that special brand of humor. Ryan was barely coming, so no one was telling like it is. Robby was gone, so no plan B to watch Supernatural or something equally cool if the pick was lame. Antonio was gone, so no one to make quiet, dark jokes in the back of the room with. Kaitlin seemed emotionally absent from the proceedings with Rita and Antonio gone...

I miss them though.

I want to reach out and be the one to keep in touch despite the rejection inherent to such efforts. I still try though. Sorry to those of you I've canceled on at any point. I know it sucks. Sorry. Some of these people will ultimately become nothing more then fond memories, but a few, at least I hope, will step forward and refuse to be relegated to the past.

I miss you already.

8 a.m. in room 112...

7 p.m. Wed. in the Green basement...

Maybe I'll find a new place to meet friends for some great new memories. Until then, stay in touch.

1 comment:

A said...

My heart and your heart are SOOO singing the same tune.

Around this time of year, I always end up missing my best friends from high school. Granted, I keep in touch with some of them. But my very best friend in the whole world, I never see or talk to. And the person who I was closest to in college has moved away, gotten married, and is having a baby, so I don't know how to BEGIN to relate to her life.

I feel like at some point I stopped having amazing times and started just remembering them. Isn't that sad?

My mission for my last year: to actually live instead of remember how much fun life used to be.