Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What do you do with a BA in English... or Communication for that matter?

First off, props to Avenue Q.  It has some great songs. 

Secondly, I bare news.  I have decided to stop putting off the inevitable and go try to do something with my life and my talents.  (Limited though they are.)  So, I guess I may never know what one does with a B.A. because I'm opting out of the process in favor of doing something that I love.  Once I actually figure out a plausible way to make money from sketching, writing and acting as an unofficial tour guide...

The best part of the whole thing is the role reversal though.  For the last year or more I've been asking myself what the **** I was doing in a hyper structured system while the family told me how wonderful it was that I had submitted myself to that system.  Now the family is asking me what on earth I'm thinking to leave the well paved path, but I'm practically (and sometimes literally) jumping for joy to be able to move in the direction of my dreams.  

It's not much but it's a start.  And as my fiancee reminded me as I pulled out of Berry's parking lot, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." (Lao Tzo)  This is my first step.  I'm scared to death, and excited beyond reason.  This is going to be one hell of a journey.

1 comment:

Toki-chan said...

Just stick it on a resume and hope you get a job. A college degree isn't everything, hon. I know people who have gone to do amazing things (one guy was selling stuff in Dubai the last time I heard). I know you'll achieve your dreams (and hopefully aviod becoming like everyone else in the news business, or actually whatever you want to go into). Don't let other change you, just be yourself, and we'll (Katlin, financee, and me) will be behind you. I love you and miss you already :C. Please come to visit.