Wednesday, November 25, 2009

For everything else...

Ok so, I admit that I have been looking for "myself." Even as I type it I want to make fun of it, but there it is, the simple fact that I have been attempting to do for the last few months, what so many college age people do. The reason for the constant (and often deserved) satire on this topic is frighteningly clear to me at this close range. After all, what is there to look for? I've been here the whole time.

Really, what it seems to come down to is not so much finding oneself as re-finding oneself. I already know who I am (a pretty cool person if I do say so myself), what I love to do (write) and what I'm passionate about (traveling to really cool places and doing really cool stuff with really cool people).

The problem comes when you sit down and look at the career options and have to try to match what you are with which of the pre-designated acceptable career choices you want to go for. Somehow, travel writer never gets taken seriously as a proposed career path, so my real problem is what can I do that will not hinder what I am passionate about, which is really a bummer of a process when you get right down to it. I mean, who wants to spend the majority of their life doing a job that on the best days simply allows you not to be miserable?

As you've probably already gathered from previous posts, my goal is to be exceptional, so what would an exceptional person do in my place? They'd find a way to do what they love and get paid enough not to worry about overdraft fees, bills or other such annoyances. How can I make my love of travel and addiction to writing pay? Travel agents aren't doing so hot right now, so I'll put that near the bottom of the options list... below tour guide (because while fun in theory, there are only so many times I could answer the same stupid questions about any given place before my patience ran out).

So, I scan my list and check behind door number 3, only to find what I've always thought was awesome anyway, my best case scenario, if you will. Promise you won't laugh?

I want to own a bed & breakfast and close shop to travel during the low season. Sounds fun, right? It would keep me constantly occupied with the things I love, while minimizing the things that get on my last nerve. There are, of course, some big positives and negatives for me on this idea though.

Positives:
  • I would be in the travel industry. Woot!
  • I could travel (and write) for roughly 1-3 months out of a year.
  • I would have a good crowd to help eat-up/give feedback on all my baking experiments.
  • I'd need to live near somewhere super cool (location, location, location)
  • My job would be to help people enjoy their vacation and find super cool stuff to see/do.
Negatives:
  • Breakfast implies morning. I am not a morning person.
  • High start up costs.
  • Obnoxious guests.
  • The cool place that I'd need to be located near would probably have traffic. (grrr...)
When I list it out, I can't help thinking of that credit card commercial. You know. "Backpack: $35, Plane tickets: $213, Dinner: $16, Seeing the World: Priceless."

Is it a realistic idea? Honestly, I have no idea. Does it sound exciting, fun and worth the time and effort? I think so. It definitely heads my career ideas list. First I have to actually own a building though. Baby steps...

What I do know is this idea is about the closest I've gotten to a career idea that I would really love, and like the commercial says, "There are some things money can't buy..."

3 comments:

Katie M said...

*hugs* I know what you mean. This post I can relate to. Now if only life followed our little brains? That would be wonderful! If life actually worked with us and let us do what he loved in an accepted manner. ><

I think the B & B idea is kinda neat. =) You could have someone who *is* a morning person on staff to handle the morning part of it. Lol!

*Hugs* My attempt at traveling is applying to teach English in foreign countries. It's kinda neat.

You're in an ok place right now. You're only in your early 20s right? You've got loads of time to figure stuff out.

Lisa Lotus said...

i just want you to do what makes you happy. if that means giving everyone else the finger then so be it=]

Unknown said...

Katie, are you planning on trying to get TEFL certified to teach English?

I may rope Scott into helping if I can get the B & B idea going, since he does have the morning person gene.

Thanks to both of you for the support! <3