Friday, June 26, 2009

Will Work for Peanuts

I look up and watch the green sun drenched leaves stir slightly with the warm summer breeze.  I don't know where I'm going.  Then again, who does.  The "plan" for the moment is to try to kick butt at the job interview I have lined up for Tuesday.  

If I get the job, I'll be working with food again which can be super fun if the people in charge are even mildly intelligent or endlessly frustrating if they are convinced of any one of the hundred fallacies that come with the business.  I like working with food though, so maybe it'll work out.

The food thing works well with my "starving artist" results on so many career tests too because it is one of the few "art" careers where I probably wouldn't actually starve.  Ha ha.

I guess the point of this whole thing is that...  I don't know the point of this whole thing.  I want a job where I can be creative and have fun every now and then.  

It feels like senior year of high school all over again:  I want to cook and I want to write, but you can't major in both and it's pretty damn hard to do both considering neither one pays even decent unless you're hard core awesome.  

If I take this path toward cooking and writing then best case scenario I'll end out being awesome like Emeril, Rachel Ray, Guy Ferrari, etc.  Worst case scenario, I'll go broke and have to get an office job.  Sounds like a risk worth taking.

So raise your glasses, here's a toast to doing what you love even if it only pays peanuts.

1 comment:

A said...

Hey, peanuts are nothing to sneeze at. They're a major export of...somewhere, I'm sure. Maybe here?

The great thing is you don't technically need a degree to write OR cook, so you could do both without all the cost and hassle of college (wish I were going for a career like that).