Monday, October 27, 2008

The Meaning of Life

What is the meaning of life?  

Scholars have asked this question since as far back as man can remember, yet no one seems to know the answer.  It seems to be a simple question.  After all, it basically asks why are we here?  There has to be a reason.  Everything has some sort of reason, even if the reasons behind some things are stupid or confused in purpose or ineffective.  There is still a reason.

So, why are we here? On this planet.  In these specific geographic locals where we find ourselves.  Among these people with whom we interact on a daily basis.  What is the purpose of our being here?

There does not seem to be an easy answer in sight, so I find the answer the same way many modern people seek to have their queries answered:  I google it.  The answers display an interesting variety of opinions and philosophies.

The answers are:
  • Monty Python
  • 42
  • God 
  • Oneness
  • Nothingness
  • Life
  • Love
  • It is meaningless 
  • 42 (about 70 more times)
There were a few others but that is the basic jest of it.  So, this leaves me back where I started, only with a little more information this time.  Why are we here?  What am I supposed to believe?  How will the meaning of life, affect my life?  But this is a big question, and I should have known better then to expect a simple answer from a big question.  Big questions give you more questions.  That is as simple as it is going to get.  

A few sites were of some help though, in this quest for truth.  First, a philosophical approach then, surprisingly, a pop culture character worked to give insight.



Ultimately, I don't think I was really looking for an answer anyway, so much as wondering if there was one.  I like to ask questions.  I want to know what is there to be known, even if I can't know it all.  Maybe that is the meaning of life: Asking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

42. <3